Any Horror Gaming Fans?

Gaming Discussion goes here, regardless of console or era...since there aren't enough posts to warrant separate categories yet.
Forum rules
Just don't post anything illegal
Zemekis

Re: Any Horror Gaming Fans?

Post by Zemekis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 pm

I've got Castlevania 64 & Nightmare Creatures! Nice pull. Do u recall which n64 Castlevania it was? There were two on that console. I think one is Castlevania 64 and the other is Castlevania Chronicles?
Speaking of Castlevania 64...i get to dust this off...
https://youtu.be/xsAovIUDYXU

Haha
You can think of ot a few ways really. Were you spoiled by indie horror or did you miss out? I'd suggest trying to go back a bit more and don't juat assume you wont like stuff cuz it's old! Even if it's not scary anymore a lot of it is funny at least.
"Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

CatMango

Post by CatMango » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Zemekis wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 pm
I've got Castlevania 64 & Nightmare Creatures! Nice pull. Do u recall which n64 Castlevania it was? There were two on that console. I think one is Castlevania 64 and the other is Castlevania Chronicles?
Speaking of Castlevania 64...i get to dust this off...
https://youtu.be/xsAovIUDYXU

Haha
You can think of ot a few ways really. Were you spoiled by indie horror or did you miss out? I'd suggest trying to go back a bit more and don't juat assume you wont like stuff cuz it's old! Even if it's not scary anymore a lot of it is funny at least.
It was Castlevania Legacy of Darkness. Haha nice dat jpeg moon. Little of both, but at this point I've got so many things on my list and not enough money for all of it so it's pretty low on priorities if it's not something I'm super hyped about.

Zemekis

Post by Zemekis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am

Ahhh, that's right. Chronicles was a year or two later on the PS1. Which just reminded me of something, but I'm gonna save it for your post about Sim games in the future.
As for Castlevania, the video I posted is from the game just called "Castlevania" but also referred to as Castlevania 64. It was weird to me how they had two nearly identical games in the same series on the same console within months of eachother, but you never saw Legacy of Darkness at Blockbuster so I never tried it lol.
If you are/were into Castlevania at all, you should check out Koji Igarashi's new game/series now that he's left Konami and has his creative freedom back: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ig ... -the-night I backed it enough to get a physical copy when it comes out since I loved Symphony of the Night.

Back to horror games though...what about games that had scary stuff in them when the game overall didn't? I'm looking at YOU Dead Hand
Link_vs._Dead_Hand.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CatMango

Post by CatMango » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Zemekis wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am
Ahhh, that's right. Chronicles was a year or two later on the PS1. Which just reminded me of something, but I'm gonna save it for your post about Sim games in the future.
As for Castlevania, the video I posted is from the game just called "Castlevania" but also referred to as Castlevania 64. It was weird to me how they had two nearly identical games in the same series on the same console within months of eachother, but you never saw Legacy of Darkness at Blockbuster so I never tried it lol.
If you are/were into Castlevania at all, you should check out Koji Igarashi's new game/series now that he's left Konami and has his creative freedom back: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ig ... -the-night I backed it enough to get a physical copy when it comes out since I loved Symphony of the Night.

Back to horror games though...what about games that had scary stuff in them when the game overall didn't? I'm looking at YOU Dead Hand
Link_vs._Dead_Hand.png
Well considering I was like 10 when I tried it I must confess I never made it off the boat in the intro haha. Couldn't tell you whether it was good or not. I'm also not really a fan of the series either.

Oh man everyone always mentions Dead Hand but the scariest thing ever in the Zelda series for me was the Redeads in the family tomb. I gleefully remember sneaking past with bated breath only to scream cry and flail when the Redead inevitably spotted my foolish attempt. Just the sound of the chamber gave me the Fear.

Zemekis

Post by Zemekis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 pm

CatMango wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm
Just the sound of the chamber gave me the Fear.
SOMEBODY just gave me an idea for the music track on the Homepage for Halloween, haha. Yeah Dead Hand is definitely overplayed but I wanted to give an idea of what I was looking for concerning old games that are 98% kid friendly then hit you with some bullshit. The ReDeads in the tomb were spooky, sure...but the ones in Castle Town actually bothered me a lot more since I wasn't expecting them as much as I did in a graveyard, ya know?

As for other games...well we all remember the piano and eel in Super MArio 64, but that's almost so goofy that it's funny. I remember being creeped out by Skull Kid at first as well. In EverGrace, the old guy with his eyes bugging out spooked me a bit...ummm OH GEEZE I just remembered in The Sims: Bustin' Out, you would sometimes get a phone call from stalkers or a weird fortune-teller type person and the game would play this 'slamming on a piano' noise. That was jarring.

Probably one of the more "underground" ones was a semi-hidden feature in the GameBoy Camera I found. Although people have talked about this online as well. For some reason, the GameBoy Camera has a menu that looks like an RPG menu. One of the options is "Run". Why does a camera have an option to "Run"? Beats me. Usually it doesn't do anything, but maybe 10% of the time you get this:

CatMango

Post by CatMango » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Huh I wasn't aware of that. It's great though, really gives a hobby like gaming depth when you can find creepy little things like that. Speaking of eels in Mario I doubt it was supposed to be scary but my fear of dark water/things in it really made the giant eel fight unnerving. It just looms up out of the darkness at you. Eels in general are just kinda creeps, much less giant ones in dark underwater caves.

Zemekis

Post by Zemekis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:31 pm

CatMango wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:11 pm
fear of dark water/things in it
What I'm gonna say probably belongs in the Misc. forum or something, but what the hell, I'm the Admin.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about that several times over the years, but I have a severe phobia of just what you're describing. Especially with squid involved...nothing scares me like giant/colossal squid.
I believe it's called Thalassophobia. I can't even go in a pool in the evening because the water is too murky for me, and I panic a bit to stick my hands in a cloudy sink/bathtub. I fell in a pool when I was 2 and nearly drowned so that may have been the start, but the life-sized giant squid replica at the St. Louis zoo is what cemented it for me.
Also, the "Hall of Ocean Life" at the NYC Museum of Natural History makes my hairs stand on end:

NOPE

Do you know of any deep-sea/ocean horror games? I only know 1 or 2 indie ones meant to be played in VR that I must NEVER ATTEMPT.

StupidIdiot

Post by StupidIdiot » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:08 pm

The only game I know of is Subnautica which is probably what you were referring to. I do know there's this game called Inside that has a bunch of unsettling underwater parts but it's not like a main feature. The "story" is also really interesting.

Zemekis

Post by Zemekis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:43 pm

StupidIdiot wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:08 pm
The only game I know of is Subnautica which is probably what you were referring to. I do know there's this game called Inside that has a bunch of unsettling underwater parts but it's not like a main feature. The "story" is also really interesting.
Looks like the game I was thinking about was "Narcosis".

CatMango

Post by CatMango » Thu May 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Zemekis wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:31 pm
CatMango wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:11 pm
fear of dark water/things in it
What I'm gonna say probably belongs in the Misc. forum or something, but what the hell, I'm the Admin.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about that several times over the years, but I have a severe phobia of just what you're describing. Especially with squid involved...nothing scares me like giant/colossal squid.
I believe it's called Thalassophobia. I can't even go in a pool in the evening because the water is too murky for me, and I panic a bit to stick my hands in a cloudy sink/bathtub. I fell in a pool when I was 2 and nearly drowned so that may have been the start, but the life-sized giant squid replica at the St. Louis zoo is what cemented it for me.
Also, the "Hall of Ocean Life" at the NYC Museum of Natural History makes my hairs stand on end:

NOPE

Do you know of any deep-sea/ocean horror games? I only know 1 or 2 indie ones meant to be played in VR that I must NEVER ATTEMPT.
Yes we've talked about it at length haha. I'm not quite so bad that dingy bathroom water will get to me but even clear water can be an issue if it's deep enough or there are areas I can't see in it. For example when playing in streams as a child there were always these overhanging shelves of mud/rock that I avoided like the plague. The water I was in might be clear but there were shadows and holes in the banks that my cousins and I thought held snakes and other creepy crawlies. I've come to learn those small holes in the banks were actually crawfish holes but the shadows would still make me steer clear.

Surprisingly I don't know of too many games that capitalize on water fears. The first that comes to mind is Amnesia the Dark Descent. A rather infamous part early in the games has you trying to outrun unseen creatures in the dark thigh high water that has flooded a basement. I believe there is also a game where you hunt sharks and even a megalodon which I don't believe is supposed to be scary so much as an action game but my heart lurched into my throat when the megalodon loomed up out of the murk at me.